The history of the Hôtel de la Couronne
The exact year of construction of the hotel is not known. However, in 1844, the establishment was listed in the « Nouveau Guide des Voyageurs » and was managed by a certain Mestrez. At that time, the Guillemins station already existed (since 1842) as a simple wooden structure and the street where the hotel was located was originally called... the Station Street. Two hotels existed at this location: the Hotel Terminus and the Hotel Wiser (ex-Railway-Hotel).
In 1905, during an exposition, it was classified as a second-rate hotel. It was managed from 1911 to 1925 by N. Souveryns and became a limited company in 1927. Thereafter, it became « Hotel du Chemin de fer ». Georges Simenon (author from Liège) quotes it under this name in Le Pendu de Saint-Pholien. It is considered one of the most comfortable hotels in Liege, which prompted President François Mitterrand (1906-1996) to stay there in 1976.